K-3 Visa

K-3 Visa

The K-3 visa allows spouses of United States citizens waiting abroad for their marriage-based (immediate relative) petition to be approved, the option of entering the U.S. on a temporary visa. Upon approval of the initial marriage-based immigrant petition, the K-3 visa holder may apply for adjustment of status (i.e., U.S. permanent resident status).

The K-3 Visa is beneficial as it can potentially reduce the normal waiting period time for spouses of U.S. citizens to enter the United States. K-3 visa holders are eligible to work in the U.S.

Unmarried children under age of 21, of K-3 visa holders are allowed to enter the U.S. on a K-4 visa status.

K-3 Quick Facts

  • Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for K-3 visa for their spouses.
  • The K-3 visa applicant and the U.S. citizen must be legally married. The K-3 visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place.
  • Children of K-3 visa holders are allowed to enter the U.S. on a K-4 visa status.

K-3 Visa Process

  1. Our firm, on behalf of the the United States citizen, prepares and files the application for permanent residency for his/her spouse with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) along with the required documents.
  2. After receiving a Notice of Action (receipt notice) from the USCIS, our firm prepares and files the K-3 visa application on behalf of the U.S. citizen.
  3. Upon approval of the petition, the K-3 applicant can go to the local U.S embassy to obtain the visa.