F-1 Visa

F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is for foreign students who seek to study in the United States. The F-1 student visa is issued to students who wish to pursue a full course of study at colleges, universities, conservatories, or academic high schools in the U.S.

Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join the F-1 visa holder in F-2 dependent visa status.

F-1 Quick Facts

  • F-1 applicants must be proficient in English.
  • Applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover all expenses including tuition while in the United States.
  • Applicants must be able to establish intent to return to their home country upon completion of studies.
  • F-1 visa may be utilized for study of academic or language training programs in the U.S.
  • F-1 visa holders may travel in and out of the U.S. freely as long as they have a valid visa.
  • F-1 visa holders may be eligible to work part-time on campus and those facing economic hardships may work off-campus with permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • F-1 visa holders may apply for H-1B work visa upon completion of studies.
  • Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 cannot work in the US.

F-1 Visa Process

Our firm regularly assists individuals obtain F-1 student status. We frequently represent students seeking work authorization and change of status application to or from student status. As part of the visa process:

  1. Applicants must first apply and gain acceptance into a U.S. college or school that is authorized by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to accept foreign students.
  2. The educational institution in the U.S. then sends the related form (Form I-20 - Certificate of Eligibility or Nonimmigrant student status for Academic students) to the student applicant.
  3. The applicant completes the form and signs the application.
  4. If residing abroad, the overseas applicant completes the Non-immigrant Visa application form and applies for the visa at his/her local U.S. consulate or embassy with all supporting documents.
  5. If the applicant is currently in the United States in another visa status, he/she may apply for change of immigration status to that of a student.